12.02.2009

109%...The highest test score I've ever gotten!

So I shared that I'm feeling crummy (still)... yuck. I had an appointment with my allergist today, and I'm glad I did. Firstly, because he gave me drugs to bring to Iowa with me if needed... but mostly, because I had a real eye-opening victory (I guess both scale and non-scale) that I wasn't expecting... When I told him about the cold, etc... he was fine with giving me meds... but also wanted me to do a breathing test to see what kinds of steroids I might need. The breathing test is this computerized thing, where they clip your nose shut and you blow into a tube looking at a computer screen with a picture of a birthday cake, and you have to try to blow out all the candles. Well, I got all but one... and for my age/weight/height/gender combo, that is 109%... They want you to score 80% or higher to be "ok". And the best part? He showed me where I was in 2003 at 283 pounds when I first started seeing him... (remember THIS picture?!?!?) and I was well under 100% and borderline asthmatic. Amy's post today reminded me that THIS IS WHAT IT IS ABOUT. It isn't about that darn number on the scale and whether or not I'm "worthy"... It is about breathing better - even when I have a chest cold. It's about continuing to NOT have asthma. It's about living, among other things. Rock on.

3 comments:

Amy W. said...

There are so many hot air jokes I could make...BUT! That is so fantastic! Seriously!
I am sick too and keep seeing your fb posts and know that someone else is suffering with me.

xoxo

Robyn said...

That is so awesome! You're right, the journey isn't about the number on the scale.

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

THAT IS AWESOME! My mom and son have to go through all the trials of having asthma so I know how fantastic that is on that breathing test! Way to go and you were even sick! haha! I hope you feel like a rockin' awesome woman!